Saturday 3 September 2016

Hello from Okinawa!

I have been laughing at myself a lot this week. Most recently because of my chopstick frustrations (I thought I was reasonably proficient until I realized I occasionally, unintentionally, launch food at my neighbor). But it's also been fun just adjusting to my new life here.  I arrived in Naha, the capital of Okinawa, Monday morning where OIST picked me, and two other students, up to bring to campus (about an hour drive) and from there it was a day full of apartment orientation and grocery shopping, which of course, it my jetlagged state of mind, led me to exclusively purchasing coffee and instant ramen…I hope to expand my diet soon…

On Tuesday, after a much needed night of sleep, and a few more orientation items, I met the unit (lab) I will be working with here. Most of the week I have been working to figure out what my role will be in the lab, there are a number of different projects going on within the unit, some more interconnected than others. In a broad sense the unit studies biodiversity and biocomplexity, but more to come soon on what I will be doing! The research buildings themselves are pretty amazing though (see picture below). I feel like I could be working in a space station that has conveniently landed itself on a hill overlooking the nearby coral reefs….It's a pretty awesome place to be.



Most of the first few days I stayed on campus, but today (Saturday) I had time to explore! Just walking down the main street I got to see the small markets, restaurants, and shops I would like to try while I am here. I walked through some areas that where more tourist oriented, with tons of dive and suveniour shops, and then others that where boardered on both sides by farms growing sugarcane. I eventually (4mi later) made it to Cape Maeda, a local snorkel and dive area and took my first swim in the East China Sea! There was coral and reef fish to see right off of the shore (though better if you swim away from the area where people are getting in and out) but I will be here a lot :)

Divers at Cape Maeda


Looking out from Maeda point

On my walk back I found a local market with lots of food stands and tried the "Okinawa Soba" also pretty tasty (but the chopstick challenges continued). There are so many more things to try! I'll check back in soon.



Konbanwa --Tori 

2 comments:

  1. Hi-- I apologize if the pictures in this post are not loading, I am having some technical issues with this account. But hopefully it will be fixed soon. Thanks! --Tori

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete