Saturday 10 September 2016

Pappapappapineapple

Typhoon season here is July-November-ish and last week there was was a storm off shore. It didn't hit but it rained pretty much all week, and not really wanting to walk too far...I stayed mostly on the OIST campus...

So what have I been doing at OIST? When I first arrived I knew what my unit generally studied but it wasn't until I actually got here that I realized how diverse the work within the lab is. While the overarching theme is the study of both physical and biological processes that influence biodiversity there is research with in the unit ranging from listening to and studying bird calls, to the evolutionary analysis of ant populations from around the world. After a few days of learning about the various projects in the lab I began to focus on a project which will use mapping tools to study sediment and pollution flow, through waterways on the island onto the nearby reefs. I have a ton to learn! But I am really excited to be digging into things a bit more here.

To make up for the week indoors I have been trying to make the most of my weekend. It is a little difficult to get around without a car or bike from Onna-village where OIST is located, but OIST has electric bikes and cars that interns can sign-out! I am definitely going to try to get my international drivers permit while I am here, but in the meantime I have met some of the interns who have been here for most of the summer and spent Saturday with them touring around the northern part of the island. 

First stop: Pineapple Park

I don't think any of us really understood what the Pineapple Park experience would be when we first set out, but it was definitely one of the more ridiculous tourist attractions I have been too. Imagine an amusement park car shaped as a pineapple, driving through what seemed to be a parking garage sort of building, converted into  botanical garden with the pineapple park theme song playing on loop. The tour was then followed by the option to purchase literally anything pineapple related from pineapple wine to plastic half pig/half pineapple toys...my wallet made it out unscathed...
(Didn't get a lot of good pictures here, so I present to you my obligatory pineapple selfie)

Driving further we explored the more forested northern region of the Island and ended up at Aha falls and spent the rest of the afternoon swimming here! It was a pretty amazing spot :) 


And to top of the day, we stopped for some traditional Japanese food--Taco rice! Yes, here Taco rice is considered to be an Okinawa dish (There is a fair amount of American influence on Okinawa because of the US military presence here). Not exactly what I thought would be popular here, but pretty tasty :) 

Til next week! 




No comments:

Post a Comment