Sunday 25 September 2016

Silver week!

This week was silver week in Japan! Silver week differs only slightly from golden week, which  falls around the end of April Beginning of May every week. While golden week has three national holidays in one working week, silver week has two. Last week we had both Monday (Respect for the Aged day) and Thursday (Autumnal Equinox) off.  Many people took time to travel to mainland Japan but I have some trips planned for later in my co-op so I got to explore Okinawa a little bit more.

A couple highlights from the week:

Snorkeling! Both post-work and on our day off I went with some of the other interns here to a place called Maeda point. Just off shore there were tons of reef fish and lots of coral. As long as you have a mask, snorkel, and water shoes  (which can be purchased at any convenience store) you are good to go. There are tons of places within biking or a short drive from campus, so I will definitely be doing this more.

Snorkeling at Maeda


On Saturday we took to a local climbing gym and made a pit stop in the town of Chatan (knicknamed "American Village") where I had the first ...good... cup of coffee since I've been here. Chatan is completely different from surrounding areas, the center shopping area has more of an american themed outdoor mall complete with "I WANT YOU for the US Army!" posters for tourists (or the american military) to take picture with...overall an interesting experience.

Coffee in Chatan

We also made it back to Aha falls! My third time here but I don't think it will get old.
Swimming at Aha falls

Nor will I get too used to the sunsets....

At the beach next to OIST


I am excited to have booked a trip to Taiwan in two weeks. More to come on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment